1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Insects MOD (Discussion & unit preview)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Supa, Feb 20, 2006.

1. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

You had us worried for a while. :sad: A game idea this unique and original really deserves to see the light of day. :D

2. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

3. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I can't wait to try this.

5. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Following with interest :scan:

6. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Supa, do you havge plans to release some fo the units you made for this mod to the Public?

7. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

I'm no expert on insects, but this mod seems like a cool idea. Is there anything I could do to help?

8. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Goldflash > I'll probably release a small unit pack before I release the mod. But most of the units will only be released with the mod.

Lord Malbeth > Nothing right now.. But perhaps some maps when most of the mod will be finished ?

9. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

So, uh, are you taking any game ideas from SimAnt to do in this mod? (giant foot, lawnmower, ant-hole cities, etc.)

10. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

11. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

Bump! :bump:

Hows this coming along?

12. Nwoll

Nwoll Chieftain

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread, but I hope you're still working on this Supa. This mod is a great idea! As for terain, there is a flowers terain out there that replaces jungle. I think it's in one of the urban terrain downloads.

13. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Not much work has been done since July and I won't work on it before September.

Yes, I am. :)

Nah, I'll keep the flowers as resources for the Bees. I'm still tinkering about the terrains.. The way I'm going for the moment will pretty much restrict the mod to pre-designed maps.

14. beboy

beboy Ut tensio sic vis

ok, my interest in this post has nothing to do with my actual avatar... :mischief: but i think it would be nice to allow the bees to build an equivalent for "airfield", as a reference to their efficient way of communication and orientation (i.e. the bee dance).

Note: I haven't scroll through all the thread; so i don't know if this idea has already been proposed..

15. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

16. beboy

beboy Ut tensio sic vis

mmmhh.. I didn't see it that way.. I was more thinking in a fast way to travel, more efficient thant most of the other insects. But maybe you are right it will be too much similar to teleportation...

But at least common bees should be able to build colonies on tiles with ressources. special ability?? anymay these are just some ideas..

17. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

And that's exactly what I'm doing ! :) The bees will be able to build colonies, mimicking their 'dance' in Civ-3 gameplay mecanics.

18. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

I would love to see a Praying Mantis....

19. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

20. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Chieftain

I havent read every single post here so probably this idea is already proposed, but...

Those species relies heavily on the queen. "I am the state", according to Louis XIV. I'd suggest making this game mass regicide (or how is it called when you have many king units?) and give the Palace building (probably already renamed to Nest? :) ) ability to produce Queen unit every n'th turn. This would represent kinda breeding. If every Queen is killed, civilization dies, because there is no intelligence whatsoever left, as simple as that. I know that contradicts a bit with building settlers, because they too represent breeding, but it's just a game anyway :)

Note that this concept is game tested and known issue is the following: AI keeps all it's king units at the capital city (city which produces them actually), while it's supposed to move them to different locations according to "dont keep all the eggs in the same basket" wisdom :)
    Also, you must choose "none" in the game editor for "king unit" and place king unit manually. Otherwise civ will start with several queens already. If you choose "regicide" the civ will start with one queen but it doesn't matter how many queens does it have later - it will loose the game as soon as one of them is killed.