Insects MOD (Discussion & unit preview)

Cornplanter > Unfortunatly, as "Queen" settler units disappear when they create a city, a Regicide game would break a little the immersion feel. So I won't make the mod around it. But perhaps a special regicide version after..

NavyDawg > Yes. I'm still not sure which terrains I'll use. It depends mainly if I go for a no-map mod or a map-dependant mod.

Dirt, sand, grass, tree, fir, bush, moss are a few terrains I'm interested in.

I'll elaborate a little more on the terrain dilemna.

I've got two choices : A classic, mapless mod and a multiple map mod.

With the multiple map mod,
  • I can have a more precise control of the localisation of ressource AND terrain. I can have the fir terrain surrounded by a little circle of dirt, without any grass in it, and perhaps a few pine needles. I can be sure that water will be minimal : A little brook and that's it.
  • I can try to sacrifice the road action job to get a more dynamic ressource distribution.

But
  • it limits the gameplay replays to the number of maps made for the mod.

With the mapless mod,
  • The replay is less limited.
  • I don't have to create any maps.

But,

• The terrain localisations may be less realistic.
  • I can't use some terrains ideas (pine needle, leaf floor) unless I can tolerate their presence without any tree or pine near it.
  • And water would be fare too aboundant.

Mood-wise, I'd go with multiple maps. Replay- and time-wise, I'd go with mapless mod. Mh mh mh. :confused:

Supa, take this into consideration...

EFZI2 has a single map, and is playable over and over...

Id prefer more terrain types, and organized layout...if its not too much trouble to make several maps...Id even be interested in making a few maps for you if you can explain the terrain changes...

Also take into consideration, many mods have one or more map versions (such as Midgard, MEM, Rhye's, etc), and a random map version... :)

The problem is that I'll structure the terrains differently for each version. I don't know you looked at the terrain gfx but I don't want to make twice version of most. ;-)

Spacer One > Good point. Any map maker is welcome aboard. :)

My PMs await your parameters for map construction...

just lemme know what Civ terrain, converts into what Supa Terrain....How Big the Map should be, and any other details that you want included...

I need a break from working on my Narnia interface(*), and this will be perfect...

(*)note: I will never do another interface again...way harder than I thought...Kudos to those who have

note: I will never do another interface again...

He.. I heard you. I attempted to made an Egyptian interface, from parts of Pharaoh game. Not that difficult but long.. long.. I got bored before I could finish it.

About the maps, you'll know as soon as I'm sure of the terrain choices.

Run preview of a WIP:

The Royal Couple

The settler unit for Termites.

I'm tempted to make a darker texture, at least for the male. Any thoughts ?

I fixed the images in the OP.

Make the male slightly smaller, and the queen's abdomen slightly paler. They're dark enough IMO.

Supa... This seems to be coming along well and your units look Great.
Believe me, I understand all the work required to complete this endeavor.
The interface is lengthy and requires more work than people who have not changed it would know.
The Civilopedia and all images used in various areas of the game are enormous.
This says nothing about making the units, sounds and editing the editor for the game, Making Resources and Maps and play testing to adjusting the game play and correct anything needed.

I spent over 6000 hours working on EFZI2, making or working on everything in the game.

How many people are working members for this Project with you?

I believe you will find it best to create a game map that will do justice to the units and all the hard work that has been and will have to be done to complete this game. You will have more control and it will "Make the Game" so to speak because the Map is seen all the time and that in essence presents the Game Feel as well as enhance the units.

How dark or light a unit is has much to do with the Map Terrain and over all Map Color, Brightness and Contrast so feedback from others as to what looks best can only be taken as opinions for the way they see the unit on the background it is presented on. If you take a ScreenShot of the Game Map and use it to paste your Game units on it, you can see better what you want as you are creating the Units. Just a personal opinion but pattern texture adds more to units than just light dark coloration.

IF you want Kinboat's Wolf Spider or Spitting Spider without CIV Specific Colors, I remade those and also changed/adjusted the Colors with new palettes for both. The Spitting Spider has an adjusted attack because the Spit was cut off by the frames in what Kinboat uploaded.

Vulcadon,

You've made good points through your text. I should finalize terrains before getting any further in units.

Right now, I'm working alone on this. Spacer One proposed to make a map, which he'll be very welcome to once I've finished terrains. And Flamand shared his Scorpion with me, if I wanted to include it in the Spiders civ.

For the modified Kinboat Spiders, we'll see that when I'll come around them. They aren't a priority. But thanks anyway. :)

Supa: for the record, I have lost my flash drives, and thus half of Narnia...that said, I am setting it aside for the moment(Because I dont think I have the motivation to redo hald the interface)...so if you need any help working on the terrain, or making static graphics, lemme know...I have time...

Top Bottom